Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Gofundme campaign update.

This is going to be a short one today, guys. Before I start, though. Can someone in the comments below please tell me if the Gofundme widget I set up off to the right side is showing up for them? I can't see it on my end for some reason and I don't really know how to fix it. If somebody does, please let me know. 
For those just joining us; last year, a very dear friend of mine, Luna Peregrino (Aka AkiAznGirl, Aka Lunar_Princess) was on the verge of becoming homeless because her Husband suffered a severe back injury and couldn't work full time. He was the sole breadwinner of the family, as Luna suffers from a hodgepodge of mental disorders--including PTSD, agoraphobia and severe depression among other things--and this makes face to face interaction almost impossible for her. Let alone find and maintain a job. They have applied for financial assistance like disability but that won't be of much help to them anytime soon. Thankfully, both of them are receiving treatment, and her husband is on the steady road to recovery, and they have been able to stay in their apartment for the past couple of months thanks to the intervention of a mutual friend. But I started a Gofundme campaign to help them out as well.      

The Gofundme campaign has been a mixed bag. On the one hand it's raised a total of $620 so far, but on the other....on the other hand it's kinda stalled there. Not because of a lack of trying, I've shared this thing on every social media page I can without penalty, and I've done so more times than I care to count. I even put up flyers at every public place that allowed it. Would you believe that a Publix Grocery Store would allow a flyer to be put up in their break room, but not my local public Library? I'm not making this up, I went into my library and asked if it was ok to put a flyer up on their public bulletin board and the lady I spoke to said no because it wasn't related to my County and the campaign was asking for money. And yet hanging on that same bulletin board was a flyer for the mobile game Pokemon GO. Nope, that's not hypocritical at all. 

I had better luck getting the word out by asking some Youtubers and Twitch Streamers to share the campaign with their fans. I didn't ask them to go out of their way or anything, most of them don't know me or Luna after all. But it didn't hurt to ask. One of them (I will not name who) lectured me for being irresponsible for my trouble. Granted, at the time I didn't do a great job with the campaign name or the descrption and probably gave them the wrong impression, but whatever. But a few of them did retweet it (Thank you so much PushingUpRoses, Linkara, Boogie2988, Becky Boop, Sakura Tsubasa, TwistedLoveStory and Deadman Inc). 

And this leads to today. I spoke to Luna the other night...and it turns out they might be forced to move out at the end of this month after all. This isn't set in stone, not yet, but it's worrying. y'all, Luna has attempted suicide in the past, and if they lose their apartment, they will be forced to move back in with her parents. Sadly, her and her parents are not on the best of terms (to be polite) and don't have much money either. They also don't have internet access, which is bad because all of her close friends (myself included) don't live anywhere near her and we are afraid that if she loses that connection to the outside world, then the worst will happen. 
I know I've said all that before, guys but now it's down the wire. I don't like asking for money, but if you have any to spare, please send it to the Gofundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/helping-a-dear-friend
If you can't donate, then please share the page on social media. 

Thank you all for reading this. 
I'll see you next week. 
                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment