Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Random musings: Time slips away.




Gonna be a short one today. As a lot of you know, I'm a fantasy writer. I consider my writing to be one of the most important aspects of my life and I still dream of writing an epic story in the same vein as The Lord of the Rings or The Wheel of Time. But I'm also a Let's Player on YouTube (or at least I'm trying to be one anyway), and while it hasn't brought in much in terms of financial gain, I do enjoy making and editing videos and uploading them, And in the more recent videos, I've added what I call "Visual Novel Style" machinima, in where I take a freeze frame and add text (or speech bubbles) over it to further expand the story/lore of a game and give a little more life to my customizable silent protagonist (assuming that the game I'm playing has one). Sometimes, this might even be as complex as adding an entirely new scene with pictures, sound effects, music etc.

But the thing is that Youtube is now taking all of my time and I can't seem to figure out how to adjust my schedule to fit in it and working on my book or whatever story is going through my head at the moment. Now this is nothing new, time management has never been one of my strong suits, and when I engage in any creative activity like this, I tend to get hyper focused on it and spend hours upon hours doing it without regard to anything else. And stopping in the middle and doing something else is really, really difficult for me.  Actually, come to think of it, this might be why I get burned out so easily *laughs*. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is....if any of the authors that follow this blog have any faith left in me, could you please give me some advice on this? I've tried other methods and they haven't worked for me. I'm not asking you to solve it, but maybe if you share how you find a balance between your writing and real life (for lack of a better term), then maybe it could give me some insight as to what I'm doing wrong.

Just leave them in the comment section.

Thanks in advance, guys. I'll see you next week.          

No comments:

Post a Comment