Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Youtube Content ID woes.


Well, I should have seen this coming. This morning I received an email from Youtube that said a video I made of the game Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen had had a Content ID match put on it by the games publisher, Capcom (see video on the left). What this means is that, while my account is still in good standing and the video is still available to view, all of the ad revenue generated from it will be going to Capcom. Not yours truly. And while I'm glad that they didn't file a Copyright Strike against it (which would have put my account in bad standing), the claim, however, seems strange to say the least.




While the dispute is being reviewed, it receives no revenue for anyone.
Before I continue, I should make clear that I don't suspect anything malicious on the part of Capcom, as there is no evidence to suggest it. And that Content ID claims are largely automated, and,while harmful, don't affect your channel like a Copyright Strike would. With that said, however, I still filed a dispute against the claim because I don't believe that my video violated any copyright. The audio from the game itself is so quiet that it is almost muted, and my voice over can be heard clearly throughout the video, and half the time I am talking about the game in a way that is meant to educate people who are playing it for the first time or need a walkthrough for a certain section. Under American Fair Use laws, I am perfectly within my legal rights to do this and get paid for it. The section of the video they are claiming, though, is a cutscene that lasts a grand total of  2-3 minutes. Three minutes out of a video that runs for one hour and sixteen minutes.

Now, I'm not saying that Capcom, or any other company, shouldn't fight copyright infringement if it is genuine. But as I have said already, I don't believe that I violated their copyright by making this video, or any other videos of their games I may make in future. By my understanding it, my video fits nicely under the Fair Use umbrella and I should therefore receive that ad revenue seized by Capcom.

I'm not going to weigh in on the problems of Youtube's copyright claim system, as I feel other youtubers such as Totalbiscuit (see video on the right) and Jim Sterling have adequately done so in the past. And it's worth mentioning that Youtube itself has taken baby steps to protect videos that are clearly Fair Use, but that more work needs to be done. Least of which is addressing problems like mine.

I do, however, have something to say to Capcom: I have no desire to fight you. If anything, I would be willing to work with you, to avoid a similar situation in the future.  I have been a fan of your games since the days of the NES, and any videos, whether they be reviews or Let's Plays, I make of your games I do so out of love for your products, not because I am trying to infringe on your copyright.  I hope that you will see this and do the right thing. There's no infringement here. only love.

That's enough out of me for today. Thank you for reading. See you next week. =).

 epilouge: Since this post went live, the claim on my video has been removed. So that's good =).                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment