Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I'm terrible at this, aren't I? Also, I'm on Youtube and I finished the first draft of my novel.

Something tells me that i'm a terrible blogger. But anyway, sorry i've been so silent guys. Life has been in the way more than i want to admit. For one thing I quit my security guard job about this time last year, which honestly was for the best. The job consisted of me standing in a corner of a J Crew in Lennox Mall (the biggest Mall in Atlanta) and doing nothing, literally. I stood in a corner like a puffed up marionette for 9 hours and watched rich people buy ridiculously over priced clothes ($400 for a pair of pants, are you MAD?). It wouldn't have been so bad if we had been allowed to talk to anyone, which we weren't. Hell, we weren't even allowed to catch shoplifters, the job was observe and report. I asked my bosses about getting reassigned, but there was no place to reassign me to.

Then there was the pay, $9 an hour. It doesn't sound to bad for a part-time wage....until you consider that my former part-time coworkers were making $10-$12 an hour for the same amount of work, and many of these co-workers were newly hired too. And my father had just gotten sacked from his job for really no bloody reason. So, yeah, I needed that money. But I never got it. I asked my boss about it and he said to get the pay raise, I had to complete the job training (which i never did) and pass a mandatory physical fitness test....ya'll, this happened in the middle of July of 2014, and by then, I had been competently "guarding" that bloody store since January, training is a waste of time by that point. And a physical fitness test? And one that used the physical standards of the US Army? What the actual HELL!? I have never been that fit in my life, not even when i was in high school. I already failed it once, and if I failed it again I'd be taken off the work schedule until I passed it. So I put it off and never took it. Finally by October, I'd had enough. I was depressed, my creativity was suffering and I just couldn't seem to adjust to my new schedule. And my father had officially retired so, I didn't need the extra money anymore. So, yeah, I cut my losses and quit. But now I can't seem to find another job. I tried going freelance with my writing, but no client has really been willing to give me a chance. 

So recently, I started to make youtube videos. More specifically, I make Let's Play videos, in where i play a video game, record it, and do commentary over it. I find it more enjoyable and less time consuming than writing reviews, which for me is great because it lets me have fun and it allows me to focus on more important projects, while still making money with Youtube's monetization program. And, slowly but surely, I am building a following on there. So hopefully this will work for me.

I haven't given up on my writing, though. Hell, after quitting my job, I FINALLY finished the first draft of my novel. Now comes the revision process. Its slow going but hey, I'm glad that I finally got to this point at all. There were times when I honestly thought that I never would.
If anyone is interested in being a Beta Reader and providing feedback, let me know in the comments and we'll set something up.

Well, i'm sure you've had enough of me rambling now. i'll try to be more active here from now on. For those of you who have followed this blog for so long, despite my long silence and aimless floundering; you have my eternal gratitude. Seriously, thank you. 
see you later, ya'll.

P.S.: Just in case anyone here is interested, here's my Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_UWRb-HygJH4-ylCG4G9Rg  

No comments:

Post a Comment